General IAUG Discussion Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Sharing Experience: Unanticipated "New" Outlook Toggle Impact and Avaya Workplace Client Integration

• 1.  Sharing Experience: Unanticipated "New" Outlook Toggle Impact and Avaya Workplace Client Integration

Posted 02-23-2024 09:38 AM

Dear IAUG Community,

I'm writing to share insights into an issue we did not anticipate, which involves the "New" Outlook integration via the Outlook Add-in and the Avaya Workplace client, and to understand if discussions of this nature are suited to this community.

Try the new Outlook toggle

Issue Overview:

We've faced challenges with the integration between the "New" Outlook and the Avaya Workplace client, notably in accessing calendar and contact information. Despite not having configured our global tenant policy or my mailbox to support the "New" Outlook toggle, Microsoft has made this option available, requiring us to consider policy adjustments to block it.

The primary issues are:

• The inability of the Avaya Workplace client to display calendar data.
    • The inability of the Avaya Workplace client to display contact information.
    • The failure of the Workplace client's built-in support feature to generate an email report when attempting to report these issues.

Detailed Efforts:

In addressing these challenges, I tested two versions of the Avaya Workplace client (3.35.0 and 3.35.1) and opened a support case with Avaya. Support acknowledged the issue, informing me that it is a known problem and will be addressed in a future software update. This acknowledgment underscores the need for timely updates and clear communication from our software vendors.

Critical Context:

Our organization has not configured our global tenant policy to support the 'New' Outlook toggle, nor has it been specifically enabled on my mailbox used for testing. Despite this lack of configuration, the option was automatically presented to us by Microsoft. This situation underscores the fact that we are often placed in a position where we must react to changes rather than anticipate them.

Given these circumstances, our experience underlines the critical importance of knowledge sharing within our community. Since proactive measures are not always possible when changes are imposed upon us without prior notice, sharing information and solutions swiftly becomes essential. This approach enables us to collectively navigate and mitigate the impacts of such changes on third-party integrations.

Seeking Community Insight:

While I am not seeking direct troubleshooting advice, I am interested in hearing if others in the community have encountered similar situations and how they navigated them. Your feedback will help determine the relevance of these discussions in our forum and foster a supportive exchange of knowledge and experiences.

I appreciate your time and am looking forward to any insights or feedback you can share regarding similar experiences and the appropriateness of these discussions within our community.

Best regards,

------------------------------
    Robert Heitman
    Assistant Director, Technical Operations
    University of Iowa Health Care
    Coralville IA

• 2.  RE: Sharing Experience: Unanticipated "New" Outlook Toggle Impact and Avaya Workplace Client Integration

Posted 02-23-2024 09:57 AM

Robert,

This is absolutely suited for this community and exactly the type of information we like to share as users of the technology.  This will most likely impact others and your findings could be beneficial to others as they start adopting the "new" outlook.  We have turned ours off for now due to other issues with it, but at some point I'm sure Microsoft will force it and best for all of us to be prepared.  

Appreciate you sharing this information,

Lori Wodrich
    IAUG Board of Directors
    Sr. Systems Engineer
    Amerisure Insurance