Unified Communications

View Only
  • 1.  J179/SIP phone 46xxSettings file problem

Posted 01-18-2024 10:25 AM

Hi,

We are facing following issues in installing new J179 SIP phones,:

• Randomly phones not downloading SIP firmware from Utility Server. Current SIP FW is 4.0.7 & 4.0.8. Target FW is 4.1.x. We get image download failed on few phones. While it works on few. No fix pattern.
    • When phone reboots & download FW we dont see it contacting with 46xx Settings file, the phone simply comes to login prompt, when username and password is provided its logging in successfully and the dial plan is downloaded in phone (which indicates it downloading PPM messages) but the settings provided by 46xxfile are not available on phone (ex : Screen saver, language settings etc)
    • In settings file SIP proxy list is configured with TLS settings but phone is online with TCP settings. Not sure from where its getting these values?

System Details are :

Aura 10.1.3 platform, J179 SIP phones in WiFi mode.

Reach ability to Utility Server is tested successfully & I have tried to download latest 46xx settings file for J179 but no luck

Are there any specific parameters needed by SIP phone to download 46xx Settings file, which I am missing, please let me know your inputs on this issue.

------------------------------
    Arslan Ali
    UC Consultant
    Vodafone

• 2.  RE: J179/SIP phone 46xxSettings file problem

Posted 01-19-2024 12:41 AM

I'd check your DHCP option strings and then search the logs of the server where the 46xxsettings.txt file is found.  maybe it's going to the wrong folder?

Michael Mason
    Network Engineer - Voice
    Sonic Healthcare Limited
    Macquarie Park

• 3.  RE: J179/SIP phone 46xxSettings file problem

Posted 01-19-2024 02:16 AM

Normally the phone requests the J100Supgrade.txt file, and the last line of that tells the phone to request the 46XXsettings.txt file next. But I would assume that you haven't been editing the J100Supgrade.txt files.

I would be looking for patterns in the "randomness". If sometimes the same phone is successful, sometime not, then there's a connection capacity issue somewhere. If its always the same phone and they are existing phones, I would suspect a certificate issue if the phones are using HTTPS for the file connection. In the latter case, it may be easiest and quickest to just fully default the affected phones.

Mark Gallagher
    Technical Author
    Never Been Required Before