Unified Communications

View Only
  • 1.  Cloudflare DNS provider and AADS public domain SRV records

Posted 05-19-2023 06:20 PM

Anyone using Cloudflare for DNS service and using AADS for public facing auth/config services for remote workers? Our AADS DNS SRV record begins with "arw._avaya..." but apparently that's not RFC-compliant, and Cloudflare is saying that to be compliant it needs to start with an underscore, i.e. "_arw._avaya..." I don't know if this will break our AADS though, at least in respect remote workers. Wondering if anyone else has faced something similar? Thank you!

• 2.  RE: Cloudflare DNS provider and AADS public domain SRV records

Posted 09-01-2023 07:19 AM
    Edited by Eric Swanson 09-05-2023 06:51 AM

I had cloudflare and had to move to a different DNS service due to the limitations of cloudflare. This was a couple of years ago, not sure it has changed since.

• 3.  RE: Cloudflare DNS provider and AADS public domain SRV records

Posted 09-04-2023 05:33 AM
    Edited by Mark Gallagher 09-05-2023 02:31 AM

They are presumably referring to RFC 2782 in which case they would be correct. 

Your server/service would have the internal address arw.avaya.com. The DNS server would have a SVR record that points _arw.avaya.com traffic to  arw.avaya.com

The real use is where you have several servers that can provide the same service (arw1.avaya.com, arw2.avaya2.com, ...). You would configure a DNS SVR record for each server that has the same _arw.avaya.com address pointed to the server. The weight value in each of those records is used to indicate the order they should be tried until a successfully connection to one of the servers is achieved. 

https://documentation.avaya.com/bundle/AdministeringAvayaDeviceServices_R10.1.0/page/Configuring_LDAP_discovery_using_DNS_SRV_records.html

------------------------------
    Mark Gallagher
    Technical Author
    Never Been Required Before
    ------------------------------

• 4.  RE: Cloudflare DNS provider and AADS public domain SRV records

Posted 09-11-2023 01:19 PM

Thank you, Mark. We changed DNS records on our end and there was no impact to operability.