Unified Communications

View Only
  • 1.  Avaya Workplace in Citrix Cloud

Posted 07-18-2023 04:52 PM

Has anyone deployed Avaya Workplace in a VDI within a Citrix Cloud environment that might have some documentation on configuration options to improve audio quality. I see a good bit of older documentation for a XenApp environment, but nothing pertaining to Citrix Cloud.

We use Teams for internal calling and conferencing and it's configured to use Citrix HDX Optimization to offload the audio path directly to the host system. I was hoping to find documentation suggesting the same setup exists for Avaya Workplace, but would settle for best practice configuration settings to fine tune our audio quality. I've recently deployed Workplace to a single user working out of the Philippines connecting via Citrix Cloud to a VDI executing out of Azure Central US and the audio quality borders on awful. I know the length of travel is going to greatly impact the improvements we can make, but we're looking for any documentation or insight.

------------------------------
    Chris Ernst
    Sr Communication Systems Engineer
    Blue Cross Blue Shield of Louisiana
    Baton Rouge LA

• 2.  RE: Avaya Workplace in Citrix Cloud

Posted 07-19-2023 02:26 AM

Working with Avaya IP Office, the method we were directed to use for this involves installing two Workplace clients - one client on the virtual desktop, which is then used for call control; the other client on the device the user uses to access the virtual desktop. The later client is used for the audio connection (no video). 

The notes can be found at  https://documentation.avaya.com/bundle/IPOfficeWorkplaceInstall/page/Workplace_VDI.html 

I don't know if the same method is used with other Avaya platforms.

Mark Gallagher
    Technical Author
    Never Been Required Before

• 3.  RE: Avaya Workplace in Citrix Cloud

Posted 07-19-2023 09:59 AM

Thanks for the feedback, Mark.

If possible, could you expand on your 2 client setup a little more. Are you using it for basic telephony or for ACD delivery? It seems like the client on the user's device needs to be the Workplace VDI client, which exists primarily for the purpose of bypassing the client within the VDI for audio passthrough.

We were told by an integrator that the Workplace VDI client does not support agent functionality, which we'll need for this use case. Agents will need to be able to aux in and out of queues in some manner. Our integrator was unsure if we could use the Workplace client within the VDI to provide those agent functions, and then use the Workplace VDI client to deliver audio outside of the Citrix environment. I suspect there's going to be a good bit of work to allow that VDI client on a non-company owned device to get connected, and am trying to get some clarity around whether or not it would ever support agent functionality before spending the time to build out a full POC.

Chris Ernst
    Sr Communication Systems Engineer
    Blue Cross Blue Shield of Louisiana
    Baton Rouge LA