Unified Communications

View Only
  • 1.  Avaya Push Notifications, Android devices, and SM 8.1.3

Posted 11-01-2023 03:40 PM

Hello -

I was wondering if anyone knows if Avaya is going to support Android devices with Push Notifications on the SM loads of 8.1.3.x? I noticed a support document saying this was a 10.1 function, but I am really hoping someone knows differently as we are not scheduled to do any upgrades in the foreseeable future.

The document I am referring to is:

https://support.avaya.com/ext/index?page=content&id=SOLN371824&viewlocale=en_US

It just seems to me like a simple ask to have this included in 8.1.3 as the IOS devices work... but what do I know?

------------------------------
    James Davis
    Lead Voice Engineer
    University of Nebraska Medical Center
    Omaha NE

• 2.  RE: Avaya Push Notifications, Android devices, and SM 8.1.3

Posted 11-01-2023 03:58 PM

I would highly doubt it comes in as a 8.x feature.  They've been advertising it as a 10.x feature for over a year, and I think the books are closed on new 8.x features, considering it's going out of support shortly.

Android devices should mostly work without the push notifications.  The reason why it's required for Apple devices is that Apple has got /super/ aggressive about shutting down background apps.  So if a user switches to just check their text messages or email, it will actually kill Avaya Workplace running in the background (no incoming calls, if they switch back to it, it cold-starts the app).  On most android phones, the OS will only shut down the least used app if the memory or CPU becomes overloaded, so it's much less likely to happen.  The push notification helps restart the app on Android in case that happens.

Nick Kwiatkowski
    Director of Design and Engineering
    Michigan State University
    East Lansing MI

• 3.  RE: Avaya Push Notifications, Android devices, and SM 8.1.3

Posted 11-02-2023 11:27 AM

Agree, we haven't noticed Androids putting Workplace to sleep the way iOS does.