Unified Communications

View Only
  • 1.  CDR for Aura SIP Endpoints

Posted 01-15-2023 04:45 PM
    Hello All,

Since most endpoints now are on SIP registering to Session MAnager as OPTIM/AST devices, CM CDRs are not that accurate/meaningful and they would normally represent multiple calls for the same call and.

Just wondering what the experience and knowledge of other people are regarding this matter.
     - Is there a good off-the-shelf product that collect Session Manager CDRs?
     - if so, does it really represent calls nicely?
     - I assume, with this you will still need to collect CDRs from CM as not all calls are mandatory to hit SM.. is there a good tool to put all together.

Let me know your thoughts please.

Thanks

Samy Nashaat  |  Lead Convergence Engineer

M: +61455991951 | E: samy.nashaat@ccna.com.au | www.ccna.com.au 
    CCNA on LinkedIn

"It's not a sprint, it's a marathon."

• 2.  RE: CDR for Aura SIP Endpoints

Posted 01-17-2023 08:04 AM
    Hi Samy,

I have used VoIP Monitor in the past with good success. You have to setup connection to each system you want to monitor. i.e. Session Manager, CM, SBC. You can then get a good call flow between all the devices. One caveat is that if you are using TLS you will not get complete data as the encryption "hides" some of the call details.

------------------------------
    Richard Browne
    Sr. Telecommunications Engineer
    Adventist HealthCare
    Gaithersburg, MD

• 3.  RE: CDR for Aura SIP Endpoints

Posted 01-17-2023 08:19 AM
    With proper trunking design, this shouldn't really be an issue.

You really should have at least two trunks to your Session Managers -- one for regular trunk traffic, and one SIP connected stations.  They really need different properties and settings -- and trunking is free between the systems.  

In that case, you can turn off CDR reporting from the SIP connected stations trunk coming from CM.  That way, all that is recorded in CDR will be your actual PSTN/tandem traffic -- so it would be the same as what you were used to before (and you should be able to use the same tools).

You can turn on CDR traffic in the Session Managers as well as your SBC.  The formats are different as well as they type of data they collect.  I haven't found a good tool to mash them together, but our telecom billing system (Pinnacle) is able to ingest them -- but it's view of the world is slightly off and it does make it harder to get good billing data out of it.

Nick Kwiatkowski
    Director of Design and Engineering
    Michigan State University
    East Lansing MI